Maps of Trusley

We are always happy to receive new (or old!) maps of Trusley.

You can find us on Google maps.

Locations in downtown Trusley

Most of us don't have signs outside our homes (which confuses delivery drivers!) so here is a map of downtown Trusley.

Click the map for a larger image.

Civil parishes

Civil parishes are the lowest level of local authority administration in England, They were originally derived from ecclesiastical parishes but their number, names and boundaries have changed over time.

Click the maps for a larger image.

Local civil parishes
Trusley civil parish

Church of England mapping site

The CofE has an excellent mapping site.

To use it:

  • Link to the site.
  • Enter the location in the search box top right - e.g. "Trusley".
  • On the left hand side select the tab: "Content" - if you are not using a PC web browser full screen it may be shown as the central icon under "Details".
  • Clear everything except "Parishes (boundaries only".
  • Now click anywhere within a parish to bring up details.

Click the maps for a larger image.

Local Church of England parishes
Trusley CofE parish
Trusley CofE parish
Dalbury CofE parish
Long Lane CofE parish

Trusley Brook

Trusley Brook starts life as Nunsclough Brook near Burrows Hall Farm north of Long Lane and forms the eastern boundary of Trusley ecclesiastical parish and most of Trusley civil parish.

Trusley Brook source as Nunsclough Brook.

It becomes Trusley Brook as it reaches level with Grangefields Farm. There is no obvious reason why it should change name here apart from a footpath to Lees crossing the brook by a footbridge.

Brook change of name.

South of Dalbury, Trusley Brook merges with Radbourne Brook to become Etwall Brook which flows south before becoming Egginton Brook and joining the River Trent near Willington Wetlands (now home for a growing Beaver family!) The Trent flows into the Humber which reaches the North Sea at Spurn Head - a long way for a Pooh Stick to travel!

Tithe maps

Rents are paid to the landlord, tithes were paid to the church. Originally tithes were 10% of everything produced on the land (crops and animal products) and the local rector (*) would have a tithe barn to store everything. Over time cash replaced crops but the rector still made sure he was paid.

Tithe maps were drawn up to define every piece of land in a parish so it could be tithed.

* note: "Rectors" were appointed, usually by the local landholder, to a "living" based on a church and its parish - they made their living from tithes. In many parishes the rector was a member of the landholder's family.

Click a map for a larger image

Tithe map 1840

No one liked paying rent, and no one liked paying tithes - especially those who were non-believers or who never attended church. Tithes were always a source of rural conflict - even in peaceful Trusley!

The rector in Trusley faced a particular problem - many of the fields in the north of the parish did not pay tithes because they had historically been linked to local abbeys, not to the local church. That did not stop the rector doing his best to take the case to law to get his 10%! He failed!

Tithing was gradually phased out but was not completely abolished until the Finance Act of 1977. The Church of England demanded compensation before it gave up its slaves in the West Indies and it fought tooth and nail to retain tithes as a source of income.

Each year the church drew up "The Tithe Apportionment" - the amount due from each field.

Please click here for a spreadsheet containing the Trusley tithe apportionment 1840.

Other maps

Click for a larger image.

From the 1900 counties map

Note: the line running down the middle is a page fold, not a road!

The 1900 map does not show Goldhurst Farm between Trusleybrook Farm and Hardley Hill Farm. In 1902 the Coke family returned to live in Trusley Manor and OldHurst Farm, close by, was converted into stables and other outbuildings after the tenant was moved to the new Goldhurst Farm.

Towards the top of the map a "Smithy" is shown in Long Lane Village. This explains why the local pub (adjacent to the Smithy) was called "The Three Horseshoes" because a horse with three shoes needed a smithy! Unfortunately the pub has now been renamed "The Horseshoes" so a piece of history has been lost.

Medium scale
Small scale
Trusley 1881
Roman road - Derby to Rocester
Trusley field patterns
Osleston deserted village
Ridge & furrow and
old field patterns