An Edwardian photo album
An album was found during a loft clearance "somewhere in Lincolnshire" and made its way to Trusley in June 2021.
The album has photos of the rector, his family and The Rectory - now "The Old Rectory".
We think the rector was Alfred Henry Samuel Johnson and his wife was Hannah Cattell Johnson.
Their son, Leslie Nethercote Johnson, was born in 1888, joined the Sherwood Foresters, became a Second Lieutenant, was the recipient of a Military Cross and died on 3rd June, 1917 during the first world war. He is buried at Fosse No. 10 Communal Cemetery Extension, Sains-en-Gohelle - his plot ID is number 47.
The album has a photo of both of the rector's sons, we assume Leslie is on the left.
Two bays and the front projection were added in 1859 and have since been removed.
On the left appears to be a temporary shelter possibly used when playing badminton - see below.
Until the 1990s the Rectory had an outbuilding with a dirt floor presumably used by the Rector to store the carriage.
This outbuilding was described by the South Derbyshire Conservation Officer as having "no architectural merit" and was replaced by an extension.
We don't know who the Rector is talking to - the local landholder or a visitor perhaps.
The hedge on the right was replaced by sheds at some time and these have now been replaced by a utility room and boiler room.
It is highly unlikely to have belonged to the rector and we are told that the local landholders "had no interest in large cars" so perhaps it belonged to a visitor.
The boys-only school was opened in 1886 and named after Francis Close, an Evangelical Christian Rector of Cheltenham, who, from his sermons, seems to have been against anything that hinted of fun!
Could the rector of Trusley afford to send his sons there?
"Ben" turned out to be "Benjamina"!
The trees have grown and an additional shed has been added on the right at Home Farm.
The lane was in better condition then than now - potholes are a major Trusley hazard!
The worst sections were scraped off and resurfaced, potholes were filled and the whole stretch between "The Triangle" and Butterpot was tarmaced and gritted!
Tractors and trailers were racing along it within minutes of the heavy equipment leaving - so we have no idea how long the surface will last.
However, it was the most dramatic event in Trusley for the last 50 years - and we are grateful!
This photo was probably taken near Ivy Close Farm (now "The Old Courthouse") looking towards Butterpot Lane.
A two horse team could plough about 2 acres a day so this large field would have taken a week (7 days a week) - today it would take half a day.
This is the only photo we are aware of that shows those who worked the land to pay the rent and the tithes.
You may, or may not, be interested in our article on "Land, rent, church, tithes, rectors and vicars"