A "measure there, read here" Bluetooth level for your smart phone.
SmartAngle provides an extra hand when levelling.
The photo below shows SmartAngle used to set the angle of a bench saw blade. A stop was set at 45 degrees so SmartAngle could provide audible warning as the angle approached.
- Measures angles in one place, displays the result in another - on phones or tablets via Bluetooth.
- Operates with Apple (iOS 8 or later - including iPods) or Android (4.3 or later) phones and tablets to provide an intelligent level and inclinometer.
- Light weight (under 30g) and pocket-sized: triangular - about 52mm x 52mm x 67mm x 17mm.
- Single membrane button: short press to wake up with rapid connection to free app running on phone or tablet.
- Two LEDs to indicate when power is on (rapid flashing after pressing the button), when connected to a phone (slow flashing) and when approaching a desired angle.
- Calibrated during production but may be recalibrated at any time using a simple procedure.
- Magnetic - so you can put it in places that are hard or dangerous to reach while watching the results on your phone/tablet. Ideal for setting up machinery.
- Powered by readily available low-cost CR2032 battery.
- Automatic standby mode to preserve battery life - with user-selectable time-out period. Up to 2 years battery life on standby.
- Optional extrusion to convert SmartAngle into a long level.
- Optional grip to clamp SmartAngle to vertical or horizontal edges.
These videos are not on YouTube. Click on the image to download them in .WMV format.
Check the bottom of your browser screen, or your download folder, to see if the videos have been downloaded.
SmartAngle is a leap forward
- Bubble levels are tried and tested - fast and easy to use.
- Digital levels provide an LCD display.
- Apps can turn your phone into a level - as long as the phone edges are level, bases are flat and you are happy using your phone in places where you would take a level.
- SmartAngle brings together the best of bubbles, digital levels and apps.
SmartAngle provides "measure there, read here" - you measure the level in one place and see the result in another - on your phone or tablet.
You need three hands if you are trying to hold a panel or door while screwing brackets in place while looking at the level - a one man job can rapidly become a two man job.
SmartAngle provides a third hand
- Place it where you want to measure the level or angle,
- Put your phone or tablet where you can see it - up to 10m (30 feet) away from SmartAngle.
- Now you have both hands free to do the job.
Keep your eyes on the job, concentrate on the driver and the screw, don't bother to look at the level - SmartAngle provides audible feedback (tones and voice) to tell you if you are level (or at the correct angle) without having to look at the screen.
Create your own stops - angles you wish to use. If you want 33 degrees just enter it into the stop list. SmartAngle will tell you when you are approaching the required angle, leaving it or spot on it - it does this with a series of tones and beeps.
- Remote angle measurement for Apple iOS or Android phones/tablets.
- Bluetooth (BLE 4.0) compatible.
- Size: 52mm x 52mm x 67mm x 17mm.. Weight: 30g.
- Power source: CR2032 battery - up to 2 year life on standby.
- Single membrane switch to wake SmartAngle from deep sleep.
- Power saving functions: user defined auto-timeout period - default 5 minutes. Auto turn off when app loses focus or is ended.
- Two LEDs used to indicate power on (unconnected), Bluetooth connected and approaching required stop.
- Unlimited digital stops: set the angles and the SmartAngle app tells you when you are there. An initial set of stops is provided: 0, 22.5, 30, 45, 60, 67.5, 90 - and 75.96 (4:1 ratio for safe ladder angle.)
- Audible and visual warnings when the correct angle is reached - no need to look at the level - just wait for the "beep".
- The tones used for warnings are adjustable - ideal for those who are losing their high frequency hearing.
- Voice message to read out angles This feature may be turned on or off with one tap on the screen.
- User-defined "voice stability time" - a reading must be stable for this time before the angle is read out. Default: 3 seconds.
- Angles displayed in degrees, percentages (14.26%), ratios/falls/slopes (1:7), mm/m or in/ft. Tap the screen to change from one to another.
- Selectable resolution. E.g. for degrees: 1, 1.5, 1.1.
- Measures the difference between slopes - measure slope 1, measure slope 2, SmartAngle shows the angle between them.
- Temporary zeroing function for measuring relative angles.
- Step-by-step calibration instructions and diagrams shown on screen.
- Two rare earth magnets (internal) hold the long side to metal surfaces.
- Background colour selection - either as a solid colour or as a gradient (lighter in the centre of the screen).
- Optional aluminium extrusion, of various lengths, converts SmartAngle into a long level.
- Optional clamp clips SmartAngle to edges - vertical, horizontal or anywhere between.
Download the SmartAngle app
Note: the app will be available when SmartAngle is released.
More about the SmartAngle app
The images below are screen grabs taken from the SmartAngle app running on an iPod.
The SmartAngle app runs under iOS (version 5 or later) and Android (version 4.3 or later).
Large characters make the display easy to see - no matter where you place your phone.
The "buttons" across the bottom (orange text on black background) provide immediate access to most SmartAngle functions.
The menu selector (three bars, top right) gives access to remaining settings.
The screen above shows the reading as a slope in millimetres per metre.
This shows the option selection screen.
The background can be selected from any of the colours here.
This screen allows configuration of voice messages and tone warnings.
The shows part of the calibration procedure. Only four steps are required and the process takes under a minute.
Temporarily zeros the angle display - for example, when measuring the difference between two slopes.
- 0, 0.1, 0.05
Selects display resolution: zero, one or two decimal places.
Holds the current reading - press again to continue.
When hold is selected another button, "STORE" will store the current reading in th stops table.
Gives access to the stops table. Ideal for measuring an angle in one place and comparing it with a angle measured elsewhere. For example: aligning surfaces at the same angle.
Other options from the three-bar menu
Gives access to the step-by-step calibration function.
Selects the background colour for the screen.
Turns voice messages on or off.
Sets the start/stop pitch for warning tones. Ideal for those of us who can't hear high frequencies as well as we used to.
- USER GUIDE
Goes online to display the User Guide.
SmartAngle aluminium profile
Converts SmartAngle into a highly accurate digital level for long surfaces or falls.
- Horizontal or vertical operation - or anywhere between.
- Magnetic strip on one side to hold the level securely against metal surfaces.
- "V" grove on other side to align the level on the edge of vertical surfaces or pipe work.
- Steel strip on an inner wall to hold SmartAngle securely in place magnetically.
- Triangular hole for hanging on a peg/nail in the workshop.
- Pre-drilled and countersunk 3mm holes so SmartAngle may be fixed semi-permanently in place.
- Available in different lengths - 150mm (6") or longer.
SmartAngle edge clamp
The edge clamp is designed to hold SmartAngle securely to edges such as the top of a door or the side of a ladder.
SmartAngle is held in place magnetically or with two screws through the lower two screw holes on the back of SmartAngle.
The simple screw clamp holds everything in place leaving both hands free for moving things while reading angles on your phone or tablet.
The three photos below show a prototype clamp fitted to a door edge, door top and cupboard door edge.
SmartAngle tripod mount
The tripod mount enables SmartAngle to be fixed to anything with a standard tripod thread (1/4" Whitworth).
The two lower screws on the back of SmartAngle hold it firmly in place on the mount.