The simplest definition of our position is:
"No need, no evidence, no god"
- Everything explained by the god idea (where we came from, what happens after death, the purpose of life) can be explained simpler without it.
- There is no evidence for the god idea - holy books are not evidence.
- Therefore there is no need for the god idea.
William of Ockham (1287 -1347)
William came up with an elegant idea:
"The simplest explanation is usually the best -
the one that requires the fewest assumptions
and the fewest new ideas."
From this, "Occam's Razor", we conclude:
- God is an unnecessary postulate for which there is no evidence.
- Things explained with the god idea are explained simpler without it.
- The universe is ever changing, it has always existed, in one form or another, and will continue to exist, in one form or another. (* see note below.)
- Upon death your personality and consciousness cease to exist and the atoms that make up your body are recycled in the universe. You are made from the stuff of stars and future stars will be made from the stuff of you.
- You only have one life so make it a happy, fulfilled and responsible one while helping others to do the same.
- Humans are social animals, we cannot live in isolation. The basis of morality and social rules is empathy and treating others as you would like them to treat you.
* Note: matter is energy which can be neither created nor destroyed - it simply changes form over time. Most religions propose an ever-lasting god - we make it one step simpler by dropping the god bit.
You can find out more about our aims and beliefs on the rest of this site.